"For more than 40 years I have rambled around every state of the union and many, many countries of the world. My primary interests in life have been America, singing, songwriting, and the English language. I love the English language as much as anything in life and words really do mean something. I thought it would be interesting as I reach age 70 to release this work product on the song American Pie so that anyone who might be interested will learn that this song was not a parlor game. It was an indescribable photograph of America that I tried to capture in words and music and then was fortunate enough through the help of others to make a successful recording. I would say to young songwriters who are starting out to immerse yourself in beautiful music and beautiful lyrics and think about every word you say in a song."
Don McLean, February 13, 2015
Αν μας άρεσε η μπαλλάντα του 1971 «American Pie» του Don McLean αλλά ποτέ δεν καταλάβαμε τους αλληγορικούς συμβολισμούς των στοίχων της, ήρθε η ώρα να μάθουμε την αλήθεια από το στόμα του ίδιου του εμπνευστή του.
Το single του τραγουδιού ανακηρύχθηκε το 2001 ως «Το Τραγούδι του 20ου Αιώνα» από την Recording Industry Association of America
Ο οίκος δημοπρασιών Christies έβγαλε σε πλειστηριασμό την περασμένη Τρίτη το 16σέλιδο χειρόγραφο του 70χρονου συνθέτη του.
Η πώληση του αναμενόταν με ανυπομονησία, καθώς ο 70χρονος Μακλίν είχε ανακοινώσει ότι μετά την δημοπρασία θα αποκαλύψει κι άλλα πράγματα για τη σημασία του τραγουδιού που έγραψε το 1970-71.
Τελικά, το χειρόγραφο των στίχων πωλήθηκε στην τιμή των 1,1 εκατομμυρίων ευρώ, ενώ κατόπιν ο Μακλίν μίλησε για την διαδικασία συγγραφής του διάσημου τραγουδιού του.
«Το τραγούδι έχει να κάνει με το γεγονός ότι η ζωή μας [μεγαλώνοντας] γίνεται όλο και λιγότερο ειδυλλιακή», αποκάλυψε ο μουσικός. «Βασικά, στο American Pie τα πράγματα κινούνται προς τη λάθος κατεύθυνση», ανέφερε ο ΜακΛίν.
«Δεν ξέρω αν το θεωρείτε αυτό σωστό ή λάθος, αλλά είναι ένα τραγούδι με ηθικά νοήματα, υπό μια έννοια», είπε, προσθέτοντας πως το έγραψε σε μία στιγμή τεράστιας απογοήτευσης με τη χώρα του, που αγαπούσε τόσο πολύ.
Είναι ευρύτερα γνωστό πως το τραγούδι αναφέρεται κυρίως στο θάνατο του Μπάντι Χόλι και άλλων δυο διάσημων Αμερικανών μουσικών, του Ρίτσι Βάλενς και του Τζει Πι «Μπιγκ Μπόπερ» Ρίτσαρντσον οι οποίοι σκοτώθηκαν στις 3 Φεβρουαρίου του 1959 στην Αιόβα, όταν το αεροπλάνο στο οποίο επέβαιναν, συνετρίβη.
Επειδή τα τρία θύματα του δυστυχήματος αποτελούσαν σημαντικές μορφές της ροκ εν ρολ σκηνής, ο Μακλίν έγραψε το περίφημο στίχο «The day the music died» (Η μέρα που πέθανε η μουσική).
Ωστόσο, από τις περίπου συνολικά 800 λέξεις των στίχων του παρελαύνει όλη η ποπ κουλτούρα της δεκαετίας του 1960: οι Μπιτλς, ο Τζέιμς Ντιν, ο Μπομπ Ντίλαν, ο Τσαρλς Μάνσον, το ζεύγος Τζον και Τζάκι Κένεντι, ο Καρλ Μαρξ, ο Βλαντίμιρ Λένιν, οι Ρόλινγκ Στόουνς και η βίαιη συναυλία τους στο Άλταμοντ, οι ταραχές του Γαλλικού Μάη του 1968 και ο πόλεμος του Βιετνάμ.
«Το τραγούδι είναι ένας ανεπίσημος ύμνος για την γενιά των παιδιών των λουλουδιών που χάθηκαν στο διάστημα», είπε ο Μακλίν, προσθέτοντας πως με μια φράση «το τραγούδι αντικατοπτρίζει το τέλος του Αμερικανικού Ονείρου».
Σαράντα τέσσερα χρόνια μετά, ο μουσικός είναι εξίσου απαισιόδοξος για την κατάσταση του κόσμου μας σήμερα: «Δεν υπάρχει πλέον ποίηση, ούτε ρομαντισμός».
Κι έσπευσε πρώτος απ’ όλους ο ίδιος να κηρύξει το τέλος του ρομαντισμού αυτού, παραδεχόμενος πως αποφάσισε να πουλήσει το χειρόγραφο επειδή «ήθελα να εξασφαλίσω οικονομικά τη γυναίκα και τα παιδιά μου, οι οποίοι δεν διαθέτουν επιχειρηματικό πνεύμα».
«Το συγκεκριμένο κειμήλιο μαζί με τη διαδικασία της εργασίας του, αποτελούν μια αξιοσημείωτη ματιά τόσο στο μυαλό του Ντον ΜακΛίν, όσο και σε αυτό το απίστευτο τραγούδι που έχει αγγίξει τόσο πολλούς ανθρώπους», ανέφερε ένας εκπρόσωπος του οίκου δημοπρασιών.
Πάντως, το ρεκόρ υψηλότερης τιμής πώλησης στην κατηγορία της ποπ και ροκ μουσικής ανήκει στο χειρόγραφο με τους στίχους του τραγουδιού «Like A Rolling Stone» (1965) του Μπομπ Ντίλαν που πουλήθηκε πέρυσι έναντι δύο εκατομμυρίων δολαρίων (περίπου 1.6 εκατομμύρια ευρώ).
από το www,in.gr 13/4/2015
I can still remember
How that music used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance
That I could make those people dance
And, maybe, they'd be happy for a while.
But february made me shiver
With every paper I'd deliver.
Bad news on the doorstep;
I couldn't take one more step.
I can't remember if I cried
When I read about his widowed bride,
But something touched me deep inside
The day the music died.
So bye-bye, miss american pie.
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singin', "this'll be the day that I die.
"this'll be the day that I die."
Did you write the book of love,
And do you have faith in God above,
If the Bible tells you so?
Do you believe in rock 'n roll,
Can music save your mortal soul,
And can you teach me how to dance real slow?
Well, I know that you're in love with him
`cause I saw you dancin' in the gym.
You both kicked off your shoes.
Man, I dig those rhythm and blues.
I was a lonely teenage broncin' buck
With a pink carnation and a pickup truck,
But I knew I was out of luck
The day the music died.
I started singin',
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
And singin', "this'll be the day that I die.
"this'll be the day that I die."
Now for ten years we've been on our own
And moss grows fat on a rollin' stone,
But that's not how it used to be.
When the jester sang for the king and queen,
In a coat he borrowed from james dean
And a voice that came from you and me,
Oh, and while the king was looking down,
The jester stole his thorny crown.
The courtroom was adjourned;
No verdict was returned.
And while lennon read a book of marx,
The quartet practiced in the park,
And we sang dirges in the dark
The day the music died.
We were singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
And singin', "this'll be the day that I die.
"this'll be the day that I die."
Helter skelter in a summer swelter.
The birds flew off with a fallout shelter,
Eight miles high and falling fast.
It landed foul on the grass.
The players tried for a forward pass,
With the jester on the sidelines in a cast.
Now the half-time air was sweet perfume
While the sergeants played a marching tune.
We all got up to dance,
Oh, but we never got the chance!
`cause the players tried to take the field;
The marching band refused to yield.
Do you recall what was revealed
The day the music died?
We started singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
And singin', "this'll be the day that I die.
"this'll be the day that I die."
Oh, and there we were all in one place,
A generation lost in space
With no time left to start again.
So come on: jack be nimble, jack be quick!
Jack flash sat on a candlestick
Cause fire is the devil's only friend.
Oh, and as I watched him on the stage
My hands were clenched in fists of rage.
No angel born in hell
Could break that satan's spell.
And as the flames climbed high into the night
To light the sacrificial rite,
I saw satan laughing with delight
The day the music died
He was singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
And singin', "this'll be the day that I die.
"this'll be the day that I die."
I met a girl who sang the blues
And I asked her for some happy news,
But she just smiled and turned away.
I went down to the sacred store
Where I'd heard the music years before,
But the man there said the music wouldn't play.
And in the streets: the children screamed,
The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed.
But not a word was spoken;
The church bells all were broken.
And the three men I admire most:
The father, son, and the holy ghost,
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died.
And they were singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
And them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singin', "this'll be the day that I die.
"this'll be the day that I die."
They were singing,
"bye-bye, miss american pie."
Drove my chevy to the levee,
But the levee was dry.
Them good old boys were drinkin' whiskey and rye
Singin', "this'll be the day that I die."
Don McLean - American Pie 1971 Full Album
Δεν υπάρχουν σχόλια:
Δημοσίευση σχολίου